Sunday, January 23, 2005

Eid

Its been two whole weeks since I have gotten a chance to write something. I have a chance tonight before this weekend comes to an end as well. The time just goes too fast, I cant believe we are almost the end of January. I wish I can hold on to the smallest moments forever, sometimes I do by taking pictures but its not like we can have a camera everywhere we go and have it with us when we are doing every single thing.

This friday was Eid, Eid-ul-Adha to be exact.

Eid-ul-Adha (the Festival of Sacrifice) is celebrated throughout the Muslim world as a commemoration of Prophet Ibrahim's (PBUH) willingness to sacrifice his son for Allah. Allah rewarded his willinging by sending in a ram(goat) to be sacrificied instead.


For the first time in 10 years, the time that we have been here in the US, we sent money back home(India) to give a goat as a sacrifice. This goat will be distributed to the poor and needy first, relatives second and then shared with family members.

I miss being back in India during these festive times. It would have been a big occasion and celebration. Here it was more subdued, went to masjid to pray in the morning, went to work. Went to work, how is that for a day of celebration. :-) But all in all, we are happy with how things are going, so we have to be thankful.

No comments: