Sunday, December 26, 2004

Apocalypse visits Chennai

A day after people all over the world celebrated christmas, a destructive natural occurence took place. A tsunami that was the result of a massive earthquake ripped through many countries in South East Asia, inluding my home state of Tamil Nadu. In Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu and where I was born and lived for the first 14 years of my life, was a place filled with shell shocked people.

I read the tragic news online here in NYC just a few hours ago. It showed pictures of the beach (Marina Beach) that I often used to visit, filled with destruction. If you can imagine 20 feet ocean waves rummaging through the city, a sight thats so beautiful to behold but suddenly a deep realization creeps in about how destructive that beautiful nature can be at times.

People's life destroyed, lives altered forever.

I can only pray for the safety of my relatives down there.

No comments: